Japan America Society of the State of Washington
The Japan America Society of the State of Washington (JASSW) is celebrating our 100th Anniversary in 2023. We are based in Seattle, dedicated to promoting friendship and understanding between the people of the State of Washington and Japan. We strive to pursue this objective through programs and events which foster our mission. With a small team of dedicated professionals and a strong network of volunteers, we work tirelessly to make a positive difference in the lives of stakeholders.
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced individual to join our team as the Executive Director.
As the Executive Director, you will be responsible for carrying out the goals and objectives set forth by a 45-member board by overseeing all aspects of our organization’s operations, including strategic planning, program development, fundraising, grant writing, financial management, and team leadership. You will report directly to the Board Chair and work collaboratively with the leaders of the board of directors, staff, and community partners to ensure the organization’s continued growth and success.
- Provide strategic leadership and vision to guide the organization’s mission and goals.
- Develop and implement strategic plans, programs, and policies to further the organization’s objectives.
- Lead and manage a small team of dedicated professionals, providing guidance, support, and mentorship.
- Oversee the organization’s financial management, including budgeting, fundraising, and grant writing.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with community and government partners, donors, and stakeholders.
- Represent the organization at community events, conferences, and public forums.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, and reporting requirements.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in international relations, business or nonprofit management or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of leadership experience in the non-profit sector, preferably in a similar role.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with a large volunteer board, its executive committee and board leadership.
- Proven track record in strategic planning, program development, and organizational growth and successful implementation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budgeting and fundraising experience.
- Strong communication and English language skills, both oral and written. In addition, Japanese language proficiency strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a volunteer board.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and manage a small but close-knit team towards achieving common goals, and championing employee growth and retention.
- Working knowledge of both Japanese and American business cultural practices. Actual experience desired.
- Working knowledge of and experience with Japan, and Japanese customs and culture.
- Knowledge of the local Seattle community and non-profit landscape is desired.
- Passion for and commitment to the organization’s mission and values.
- Working knowledge of and effective use of social media is desired.
- Access to personal automobile is desired.
To apply for the position of Executive Director, please submit the following documents:
- A cover letter outlining your qualifications and why you are interested in the role.
- Your updated resume/CV, highlighting relevant experience.
- Contact information for three professional references.
Please email your application to ExecSearch@jassw.org with the subject line “Executive Director Application – Selection Committee.” Applications will be accepted until August 31, 2023.
JASSW is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Thank you for your interest in joining JASSW. We look forward to receiving your application!
Japan America Society of the State of Washington (JASSW)
3010 77th Ave SE, Suite 102
Mercer Island, WA 98040
Phone: (206) 374-0180